Monday, September 2, 2013

I need mommy advice!

This weekend both kids have been pretty much stuck inside because they came home with colds. The added indoor time has proven to be a little too much close time for each other.

The past two days attitudes have really surfaced and annoyance is getting the best of them. Tracey is at the stage where playing with her little sister isn't as fun as it used to be. Meagan is still in the imagination stage so playing with dolls and games are still interesting to her.

Today both girls were playing with their American Girl dolls and having a good time. They were laughing and enjoying their time together. Next thing I know I'm hearing screams and wailing from both girls coming from their bedroom. I go in there and they were fighting. Geez girls are fiesty. They were clawing, biting, and pinching each other to the point where it was about to draw blood.

I sat both girls down and tried to get the story as to what happened, and I just got more arguing. I'm not the best disciplinarian out of the two so my solution is to sit them in time out and make them think it out. Normally I will follow the age/minute rule. You know 1 year=1 minute, but today I feel requires something longer because there was physicalness going on between the two.

Over the course of the weekend I have heard so much how much each sister hates one another. And today, I have heard that Tracey wants to move back to her moms. Both girls are still sitting in time out. I'm making them write each other apology letters and why they do not hate their sister. I told them that they had to continue to sit in time out until their dad got home to talk to them.

My question for the moms out there...hopefully you can give this step mom some advice (I hope). What's a suitable punishment for an 8 and 10 year old who have so much anger built up that they result in fighting each other? Is this normal?

This is definitely one of the areas where I am lost when it comes to figuring out what to do. I now feel sorry for what I put my mom through as a kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment