Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Stop and smell the roses

http://rachelmariemartin.blogspot.com/2013/07/why-being-mom-is-enough.html

Thank you.

I saw this blog post on a friends facebook wall. It made me stop and reflect. Think about things that I truly take for granted.

What a lot of people don't realize and is sometimes hard for them to comprehend is that although I am not a biological mom to a child, I'm still a mom. Whether it be pseudo-stepmom, stepmom, mom. It is still the root word "mom" that applies.

I love my step-daughters as if they were my own. I know I say this a lot, but they are both super special and make my heart swell with love.

I sometimes complain when the kids are with us about the attitudes and the bickering, but when they are not with us it's those little things that I miss the most. I miss waking up in the mornings to the crazy bed hair, I miss the little bit of help that I get when I cook dinner, I miss the help from the chores that they look forward to doing each week, I miss the four of us sitting down as a family to eat, I miss the serenades as the girls take showers each night, I miss the hugs around the neck, and the sweet kisses before they go to sleep. I miss the "I love you" from each kid.

Yes Dustin and I do a lot of things with the kids during the summer. We try to give them an idea of what we could do as a family if the kids were to ever live up here. I sometimes feel that our time together is rushed because we are constantly on the go. Sometimes we forget the biggest thing that both the kids really want. To be loved.

Both of these girls are loveable and they both love cuddling and to be held. I love those quiet moments when it's just us laying around with one of their heads nuzzled in the nook of my arm. I lose foresight of those little things with the hustle and bustle of life.

I'm hoping the meeting with the lawyers goes well on Monday between Dustin and Tabbie. Everyone up to this point has been in agreement for the updated custody of the kids. If all goes well, my promise is to cherish the little moments more frequently.


No comments:

Post a Comment