Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Flushin' out the systems

A few weeks ago I talked about a stomach bug that had gone through the house. There wasn't enough toilet paper in the house. I felt like we were all going to have to start hoarding the rolls as our own and if you ran out you'd have to find another means for hygiene. After that bout of the stomach bug passed through, everything was once again sanitized down and everything was washed, again. The heat of the summer had really started to kick in.

Kentucky had an unusally cool spring this year, which made it super nice. But we hit hot and humid practically overnight. Normally heat doesn't bother me, but when you have two very active kids you have to learn to adapt.

One Friday evening we had all the guys over for dinner. Let me back up since I know you all out there don't know who anyone in RL is. In my family there is Dustin, the girls, myself, Jeremy (aka Fatty), and Dustin. Yes there are two Dustin's. At any given time that they are in the room together you have to find a way to differentiate which is who as to not get the conversations confused. I have resulted in calling my Dustin babe just to avoid any crossed signals.

Back to this particular Friday night. The four adults were hanging out in the back conversing and having some "adult" beverages while the girls spent time coloring. Then we all joined in for some beer bottle bowling (real adults right here). That game didn't last but two or three rolls. Then we made the kids go inside while we (all four adults) scoured the ground for shards of glass from the bottles. Woops. I promise no kids were harmed and they stayed inside watching as we cleaned up. 

After we got the bottle mess cleaned up everyone went down the hill and we played a game of soccer, guys vs. girls. So to give you an idea three grown men and one adult woman and two children all outside kicking a soccer ball to each to try and get it passed one another. It was so much fun, and everyone was having a good time.

Shortly after Meagan started complaining that her head was hurting. My initial reaction was that she was just running around too much. So we made her sit down for a few minutes. But since everyone else was still running around she didn't want to be left out so that idea didn't last for too long.

 We all went inside as the sun was setting and it was already past the time we get the girls in the shower. Meagan starts complaining that her stomach was hurting. "Oh great!" Dustin rushes her to the bathroom just in time for her to hover over and make the stream of vomit land into the water. I don't do vomit well. I don't know who does. So after she finished doing her "thing" she comes out of the bathroom. She came up to me and said she felt much better. It was getting late so I told her to go ahead and get in the shower. She ended up getting sick one more time.

After the shower, and the routine teeth brushing, Meagan got her pillow and a blanket and we had her curl up on the couch to calm down. I got her a puke bucket just in case she needed to get sick again and couldn't make it to the bathroom in time. When everyone left the girls made a pallet in their floor. Pillows and puke bucket included. I didn't sleep well that night. I kept an open ear, as a precautionary measure to make sure Meagan didn't wake up again to get sick.

The next morning Meagan bee-bopped into my room as if nothing happened the night before. She curled up next to me in bed and we laid there and watch Saturday morning tv. Just the two of us. I asked her if she felt better, and she was quick with her YES!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment