Thursday, March 20, 2014

Have to versus get to....

I'm at a professional development today for work, and I admit I wasn't too keen on the idea because it was advertised as "emotionally" evoking and setting a positive atmosphere for the workplace. Joy. However, to my surprise, the morning sessions have been extremely powerful. I think the speaker that really got to me was Mrs. Denise Taylor.

I always try to find some way to relate to any speaker. It's just how I'm programmed. What I didn't know was what she had to say was so meaningful and meant a lot to me!

Words to live by.....

While my story and her story don't sync up in terms of cancer, she has made me really stop and reflect about this journey that I'm going through. She calls it "Life's Surprise Party" and seriously that is pretty spot on. Every day that I wake up life gives me new surprises. Whether they are little hiccups or they are joyous, momentous occasions I am loving this journey.

I think her words, "Instead of saying I have to, say I GET TO" really stopped me in my tracks. I often complain about "having to do something," but I never really stop to think about what I'm saying. I have to do laundry for four people, I have to cook dinner, I have clean, etc." Those words sounds like I'm ungrateful and not appreciative of what I have been given. I have the opportunity to be a mom, and I GET to show them what life is without drug use, I GET to be there for both girls when they have a heartache, I GET to be the punching dummy and I GET to be yelled at. And I'll take those moments and I will enjoy this party called life.

It's not easy being part of this party, but I'm going to have fun with it. I'm going to take those little hiccups and celebrate them. I am going to throw confetti for the moments that require some extra attention.

So if you read this blog today, take this with you.....you have a choice of what you do. You GET to do something.

No comments:

Post a Comment