Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Sometimes a little one on one is all it takes

Each of the girls holds a special place in my heart. I know I did not give birth to these beautiful girls, but they are still my daughters. Every so often their dad and I will do things where it is the whole family,  just a dad/daughters day, stepmom/daughters day, and then we will both split up and take each kid out for their own special day. If one week I have T, Dus will have M, then the following week we will switch it up. It gives the girls a break from the everyday hustle of having the sister around ALL the time, and it gives each of us to bond.

I'm still super nervous when it comes to having both kids with me,  but I'm growing and finding my own with each time that we go somewhere. I guess having the responsibility and being in charge of two lives scares me. It's a fear that I'm slowly trying to overcome.

Last Friday T and I had our special day. She got up early with me and came to work and felt like she was something. Since it is summer, I only work till 11 on Friday's so that makes a really nice weekend. I asked her if she was hungry and if she was where she wanted to go eat. She picked out Cheddars. It's a common household favorite and has a nice variety on their menu. She wanted ribs and I was in the mood for steak so we split a combo meal. We each took a couple bites of each others meals because it was just that good. We both cleaned our plates and then washed up and went on our next adventure. Pedicures.

Now I'm going to intervene and just say that both of us are VERY ticklish on our feet. It's almost insane how just the slightest touch can send us both laughing till we are in tears.

I let Tracey pick out the color of nail polish that she wanted on her toes. She was torn between neon pink and neon lime green. I told her that whatever color she didn't pick out for her she could pick out for me. *Bring on the sunglasses* She looked so little sitting in the chair while they scrubbed her feet and painted her toes but she felt so big and so proud. She had the biggest smile on her face the whole time. There was an older woman in her mid-50's who was sitting next to us and she whispered that I was doing a great job taking time out of my schedule to spend some quality time with T. I blushed and said thank you.

She ended up choosing lime green with zebra stripes. She picked out the neon pink for me. The few times that I have gotten my toes done I have never had a design put on. Tracey was determined for me to have something other than color that day. She said that I had to have zebra print or a flower put on my toes. An hour later we both walked out hand in hand with soft feet and extremely bright toes.

As we made our way home we had a dance party in the car while we jammed out to "Baby Got Back" blaring on the radio. Then we had a little bit of a heart to heart. It literally brought me to tears. I'm constantly questioning how I am doing as a "step"parent. I never feel or know that what I'm doing is right/wrong/backwards/etc. Meagan has told me before that I'm not doing a good job, but I'm doing a great job. That warmed my heart, however, hearing Tracey talk about the wonderful job that I'm doing seriously brought tears to my eyes. I had to collect myself so she wouldn't see the tears streaming down my cheeks.

After we got home we changed from our "work clothes" and into our bathing suites. We hit the pool and swam for about an hour before meeting up with Dus and Meagan for dinner.

I would say that the day was a huge success and it was worth all the smiles and laughs that we shared. I can't wait to spend the day with Meagan this week. Till next time.....


No comments:

Post a Comment