Thursday, April 3, 2014

My first donation




I have officially faced a fear that I have been dreading for YEARS. I donated blood for the first time ever. Honestly I have no idea what I was so afraid of. Maybe it was just the idea of having something sucking blood out of my arm.

I made an appointment during our most recent blood drive. I was more nervous walking in to the building than I was waiting. But I couldn't back out. I signed in, drank a bottle of water and tried to calm my nerves. I was still nervous because my blood pressure was a wee high, not high to be concerning but it definitely reflected the nerves.

I had to have proof that I went through with it. 
I went through the rest of the mini physical with flying colors. They got a bed for me and started prepping my arm. They almost couldn't find a vein in either arm. They had to do every thing possible for a little guy to pop up, but one finally did. As I'm laying on the table I wanted to check things out, you know cause that's what I do. I'm inquisitive. I have to know what's going on to get a better understanding. If I was allowed to I probably would have asked to have a hands on demonstration. The nurse was laughing at me because I was taking pictures of my arm while laying on the bed.

After I was done, they had me sit up on the side of the bed and asked how I felt. Believe it or not I felt fabulous. Better than I did before I went in. I didn't want the pizza that they were offering,
but I did get cookies and apple juice (so yum).
Still waiting on my superpowers
I don't feel this amazing overwhelming awesomeness that people say they feel after donating for the first time. I feel normal. I still have a small mark from the needle, but overall I had a fantastic experience and I will probably be a repeat donor.

No comments:

Post a Comment